Monday, 7 October 2013

My MacBook Pro died!

The other day I was using my MacBook Pro on the train testing a few things on my iPhone 5 and suddenly it shuts down without warning. Tried to boot it up but wouldn't work at all. Thought it's the battery as it's about 2.5 years old and planed to try again when connected to power at home.

Later tested at home with power connected, still nothing. The small light on the power connector wouldn't even light up.

Holy crap! My MacBook Pro is dead! How can I live without you!!!

Searched the net and found a few repairers, some of them asked for $99 just for inspection and quote, that's quite expensive! Finally found iExperts - the company which fixed my iPad 2 last time, and booked for a free inspection at their city branch.

It was pretty quick, a guy called Patrick have a quick inspection and said one of the fuse on the motherboard had blown up and need to be replaced. The quote is $89, much cheaper than I expected and even cheaper than the price for an inspection in other shops!

After about another 20 min wait and it's fixed. I was so happy.

Patrick asked if I was using non-genuine Apple power adapter for the MacBook Pro, I don't as I only have the original Apple one that comes with the MacBook Pro. The only other thing I can think of is the cheap $2 lightning USB cable I bought from eBay - which was exactly what I used to connect to my iPhone 5 for testing when it died on the train.....WTF! Never know a $2 cable would cause that kind of damage to my $15xx MacBook Pro!

Since then, I won't use the cheap $2 lightning USB cable to connect to my MacBook Pro, will only use that for the windows boxes :-)  hope everyone don't make similar mistake like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment