Thursday, 5 March 2015

My new toy arrived

My new toy finally arrived today... My Parrot mini drone jumping sumo...

Similar to the SDK experience, I found the manual quite poorly written. All I got was a big piece of extremely thin paper with a few paragraphs of simple instructions, repeated many times in multiple languages.

I heard that I need to insert a memory card for it to record video, so I took out an 1GB micro SD card, search and check and turn the drone around and around, so many times, checking every corner... urh... where the hell is the memory card slot? Then did some research on the net and found that you need a "special memory card that supports micro USB interface" not the very common "micro SD card"...... Did a quick search on eBay and indeed found a few, but this feature certainly was not very well documented/explained, and personally I am not very impressed with their design choice...

The FreeFlight 3 app on iOS was easy to use and I quickly updated the firmware from 1.0.80 to 1.99.0 through the app, quite cool!

However it took me a few searches on the net to work out how to use the "Road plan" function - you have to drag each of the icons on the top to the far right hand side..... Come on Parrot, can't you just add a simple "help" function to explain that? This is another example of bad documentation...

The other thing I am not happy with FreeFlight 3 is, why I can only turn 90 degrees? What about 30, 45, or some free form left/right turn function? This makes driving the drone a lot more complicate as I have to zig-zag multiple times while travelling around the house as there's no 45 degrees turn function...

I also have difficulty making it to jump, always get some message about something blocked. Again, no documentation or explanation to help with troubleshooting...  a bit frustrating...

Ok, to be fair, other than those mentioned, otherwise it seems quite fun. And thanks to so many "to-be-further-improved" areas, this opens up more potential opportunities for everyone like me who's interested in working with the SDK...




No comments:

Post a Comment